Representatives of the Fire Brigades Union met the English Fire Minister, Brandon Lewis, this week to discuss the government’s proposals for firefighter pensions.
Another meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 28 January, with the FBU’s meeting the next day. Earlier this week, FBU general secretary, Matt Wrack, sent an update to members on the campaign. The circular covers:
- progress in Northern Ireland
- the proposed contribution increases for 2014 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- the government’s consultation on increases to pensions in England in 2015
- a recent YouGov survey of FBU members over pensions
- potential legal challenges to the Governments’ pension proposals.
- ongoing discussions with the Fire Minister in Westminster.
- the possibility of further strike action
- a parliamentary motion opposing further increases in pension contributions