Work-Related Accidents and Diseases
FBU members regularly risk injury, their health and even their lives in the course of their duty.
Our free personal injury service means that you will have access to immediate advice and representation in seeking compensation for your injuries or for the suffering caused through a disease contracted through your work. Thompsons is the biggest and most experienced personal injury law firm in the UK and your case will be handled by highly experienced lawyers.
If you are injured at work and fault can be proven you will be entitled to compensation for the pain and suffering caused and for loss of earnings.
Fault can be proven in a number of ways. For example:
- Defective equipment
- Inadequate safety precautions
- Insufficient training or instructions
- Operational command and control failures
- Unsafe working practices
These are only a few examples. There are many others and even if you doubt whether the Brigade or anyone else was at fault you should still contact Legal Aid Network. By way of illustration:
- Members injured at operational incidents may have a claim against the occupier’s insurers where the cause of fire was the occupier’s negligence.
- In road traffic cases involving the rescue of a member of the public, there may be a claim against the insurers of the driver responsible for the RTA.
- Where injury is sustained at an operational incident, there may be a criminal injuries claim if the cause of fire was arson and the member concerned was taking an exceptional risk at the relevant time.
There are time limits so delays should be avoided. Call 0808 100 6061 or click here for more information.
Where you are unable to return to work and this is due to the injury, the level of compensation that you will be entitled to will be calculated based upon the salary that you would have been paid until retirement.
The families of FBU members can also use the service to seek compensation where a member is killed in the course of duty.