This bulletin has been sent to all members of the Fire Brigades Union. There is no more serious matter for the Fire Brigades Union than the death of a member. The inquest into Stephen's death showed a catalogue of errors and failures. The lessons of this tragedy must be learned so that a tragedy like this is never repeated.
Every FBU official should:
- raise the coroner’s report with principal managers
- ensure there are FBU safety reps on every watch
- organise an active health and safety committee in the brigade
- mobilise members to take up safety matters
- engage with managers on health and safety policy and enforcement.
Every FBU member can:
- join the union’s campaign
- insist safety is made a priority
- demand safety training
- report incidents, near misses and other concerns
- discuss safety matters at work
- lobby politicians locally and nationally