This course is the starting point for all Branch Officials and is suitable for brand new officials and those who have been in the role for some time without attending training. It is designed to help officials improve their skills, update their knowledge and gain confidence in the role. During the course there will be opportunities to learn how to organise effectively in the workplace, handle members’ problems and take up issues with management.
The course will help officials to:
- understand their role, rights and responsibilities as FBU branch officials
- find and use relevant information and resources including union policies, procedures and agreements
- develop a systematic approach to help with handling members’ problems and casework, including helping members with disciplinary issues and grievances.
- improve practical skills including note-taking, interviewing members, holding meetings and building participation and engagement
- meet branch officials from other brigades and share experiences from each workplace
This course is part of the FBU branch officials’ initial education package along with the Preparing Discipline Casework and Representing Members at Hearings course and the Introduction to Fairness at Work – Unity is Strength course.
There is no requirement to have done any other FBU or TUC course before attending the Introductory Branch Officials course. A pre-course activity will be circulated when participants’ places are confirmed.
Course dates and venues
For 2018 this course will be offered as follows:
25-27 April (Kingston) this course is open for applications – please contact your region to apply
16-18 July (Nottingham) not yet open for applications
17-19 October (Sheffield) not yet open for applications