The Executive Council held a special meeting this week to discuss the ongoing 'Hands Off Our Pensions' campaign. This meeting was called as a result of the pensions discussions reaching a new stage and the clarification of the Government's timescale for making their pension changes.
In recognition of the requirement to focus on the campaign against detrimental changes to the Fire Service pension schemes, the Executive Council took the decision;
- That all national education events are cancelled until at least the end of the year.
- That all regional education events are cancelled until at least the end of the year.
- That urgent consideration is given to utilising any such booking for training in relation to campaigning for the immediate challenges.
This decision was taken after a great deal of consideration but, recognising the scale of the attack on pensions that the Union is faced with, it was felt absolutely necessary.
In the case of national education this will mean that the following schools will not now take place:
- B&EMM School - October 14 ' 16
- LGBT School - October 21 - 23
- National School - November 7 ' 11
- Officers National Committee Seminar - November 21 - 22
The following courses which are both due to take place on October 3-5 will still take place:
- Understanding public sector financial information.
- Understanding IRMP's & the role of Health & Safety officials within the process.
Applications for places for those wishing to attend either of these two schools will follow the established process.
In addition to this and in line with the decision of the Executive Council a series of events will be arranged to assist with campaigning issues.