The FBU’s LGBT section was set up by gay and lesbian firefighters who are ‘out’ in the workplace and felt they were in a position to help others within the UK fire service.
Within the section’s ten year existence, it has achieved official recognition with the FBU, as well as representing the FBU in forums which were once untouched.
It has established an extensive network to support and advise (LGBT) lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual members (firefighters, officers and control staff) who may feel isolated or harassed.
The section’s aims are:
- Ensuring LGBT members have a voice within the FBU, and making sure they are not left out in equality issues at brigade, regional and national level
- Providing support to LGBT members in all regions of the FBU
- Identifying and dealing with any issues and problems faced by our members
- Providing members with the opportunity to talk and meet with other members
- Distribute information concerning LGBT issues to members
LGBT members in each of the UK’s 13 regions elected a representative to the section’s committee, and a national control chair and secretary are elected by a national ballot of LGBT members.
To download an application form for the FBU National LGBT Sectional School 2015 (25-27 February 2015) please click here.
Secretary: Pat Carberry, email@example.com, 07947157869
Chair: Yannick Dubois, firstname.lastname@example.org, 07824319545